Sunday, October 10, 2010

ADHD - Fact or Fake?

When I read this article on CNN, I was interested by the possibilities it raised. A new article published in Lancet shows a correlation between a particular type of genetic variation and ADHD. It was the comment section that was really interesting, however. After reading all three hundred and fifty something comments, I found that virtually all of them fell into one of two camps. One has people who have been diagnosed with ADHD, or who are very close to those who have been diagnosed, and who believe in the reality of the disorder. The other is composed of individuals who consider ADHD to be an excuse to give special treatment and medication to children who are misbehaved, undisciplined, lazy, slackers, or just plain old bad. As for me? I know ADHD is real – I have it.

Many of those who commented on the article in question are skeptical of any claims that ADHD is a real disorder. As far as they are concerned, the children who have been diagnosed with ADHD are the product of households where they are not disciplined and act out to gain attention and special treatment. If only these children would sharpen up, pay attention, and put more effort into their work, the symptoms would go away, and everyone would see that there is no such thing as ADHD after all. From personal experience, I know that this is not the case. I have certainly tried to pay more attention in school and at work, to put more effort into what I do, to sit still and listen up. Unfortunately, my symptoms haven’t disappeared, no matter what I have done. It’s pretty clear to me, and to the psychologists who tested me for this disorder, that I do have ADHD, and I am not just goofing off.

If we can assume that this disorder does, in fact, exist, the other big question is why some people have it in the first place. This new study is evidence for a genetic cause. The other major piece of evidence that supports this theory is the fact that ADHD runs in families. I know that my father has ADHD, and some of my siblings have the traits – but not all of them. Other theories as to what causes the disorder include environmental factors, like chemicals in the drinking water or food, brain damage, or some sort of social influence. We don’t know exactly what the cause of ADHD is, but our best guess is that it is a combination of genetic predispositions and environmental factors.

The really cool thing about the possibility of a genetic cause is that scientists might be able to work out why some medications and treatments work better for different people. If treatment could be tailored to the specific needs of an individual, it would definitely help people with ADHD to function better. Tests that could identify those who are more likely to have ADHD would help parents, doctors, and teachers to identify and appropriately treat this disorder earlier. Overall, this study is good news for those of us who have ADHD, or live with someone who does.

For more information, try following these links:

The Lancet article (warning - this article is not open access yet, you may not be able to read the full article)

The National Institute of Medical Health web page on ADHD

The Attention Deficit Disorder Association ADHD fact sheet

No comments: