Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I'm My Own Gaurdian

As I go into the hospital for my two week check-up post surgery, I find myself forgetting that I am in fact 18 and that I have to carry my own insurance card and photo identification. Obviously, I walk into the hospital without those things, in total oblivion to the fact that I am my own independent person. My parents are my parents but they can’t be my guardians forever. I am now own guardian. So when I go to sit down with the paper work woman she makes me sign a paper agreeing or disagreeing with the statement that I have a living will. I was so confused. I was like why do I need a living will, I’m only going in for minimal procedure? Of course, I reminded myself that I was 18 now and that statement of having a living will is a serious one once you become an adult. Regardless of what kind of procedure I was going through, anything is possible at any given moment. While the woman assured me that I didn’t have to be concerned about the fact that I didn’t have a living will for my procedure, I started questioning if I should have one. Now that I am an adult, Mommy and Daddy can’t decide everything for me. And since I don’t have a living will, if something were to happen in any medical procedure, everything would be left up to me parents. That’s where the problem comes in. If I left the burden of deciding what to do with me up to my parents, there could potentially be huge controversy. Yes, they would want to try make me healthy again for as long as it would take, but people will judge them saying maybe she doesn’t want to live like this. The acknowledgement of a living will is a significant document that most people go on living without until they get older. People may not want to face the fact that something bad could happen to them and they would have to resort to the document. But whether your 18 or 89, anything is possible, and I think one would rather be safe then sorry when it came to a situation that would involve a living will.

No comments: