Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Protect the Body or Let It Suffer?

My dad always tells me to not use anti-bacterial lotions or hand soaps because it makes my immune system weaker. How can something that is suppose to protect me from becoming sick actually end up making me get sick in the long run?

With the advancement of new medicines and bacteria killing solutions, human bodies are suffering. When babies are born they often get routine vaccinations, one of which is acetaminophen, or better known as Tylenol. The drug prevents people from getting a fever and for a fever to become so severe that it can cause seizures. A recent study that has taken place in Czech has said that due to the vaccine, it is making other vaccines less potent. Since fever is part of an immune response, when the vaccine tries to reduce the fever, it results in not letting the body create the appropriate amount of antibodies.

450 children were divided up into two groups. One group received acetaminophen while the other did not. The group that did not receive the shots got more fevers, but only 1% of those kids had a fever above 103 degrees. "The group of children that did receive the shot however had “significantly lower” levels of antibodies against pneumococcus, Hib, tetanus, and whooping cough." The Czech has not officially concluded anything from this study except for that acetaminophen should only be given when necessary.

What I take away from this study is that the advances we are making in the medical field are beneficial but not in all cases. Nowadays, people are hit harder by illnesses like the flu or the common cold. We are protected from germs as soon as we come out of the womb, and because of that, our bodies suffer because they are not probably prepared to tackle these things with the appropriate antibodies. Years ago, before we had Purell that could kill 99.9% of germs on the spot, little kids would roll around in the dirt, not wash their hands, and no one would worry about anything. Now that times have changed, we are all so weary of becoming sick and because of that we do anything to instantly protect ourselves instead of thinking about what our bodies will benefit from in the long run. So now when I get a headache, I’m not quick to take Tylenol. And when I become sick, antibiotics are never the first thought. Allowing my body to suffer may be uncomfortable for the time being but I know I’m protecting it in the long run.


resource-http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/20/health/20glob.html?_r=1&ref=health

1 comment:

Annie said...

I’ll be the first to admit that at the first sign of discomfort, my mind immediately flashes to my favorite bottle of Nyquil or the ever-so-reliable antibiotics. But I usually suffer for several days before I surrender to the power of over-the-counter medications, because I’d like to think that my body is strong enough to fight off the illness by itself. From my experiences, I have discovered that, unfortunately, this is never the case for me.

Surrounded by today’s never-ending advancements in medicine, more and more people are learning to solely rely on medication to alleviate any discomfort and pain. Because our lives move at such a rapid pace, we cannot afford to be ill when there are deadlines to be met, conferences to hold, kids to take care of, and appointments to attend. Instead, we grab the nearest box of Tylenol, Advil, or for women especially, Midol. Illness and discomfort is an inconvenience to us; we think nothing of the long-term effects of our dependence on medication, not only physically but also psychologically.

Even if we do not need medication every time we fall ill, we mistakenly believe that we do. But years ago, before pharmaceutical companies began stocking up store shelves with medication for every symptom imaginable, before the advent of antibiotics, the human race managed to survive despite numerous ailments. If we could do without medication back then, why not now?

Sometimes, just acquiring healthier living habits is more effective than constantly relying on medication. By developing an exercise routine, obtaining sufficient sleep every night, and eating healthier and more frequently, we can drastically improve our health. But until the entire world recognizes the importance of properly caring for our bodies, it will continue to use medication as a crutch.